Intake sessions are generally held on the third Wednesday of each month. At intake, applicants will learn about the program requirements, complete a client intake form, and have a brief interview to determine their career and educational goals.
The assessment tool used is the TABE (Test of Adult Basic Education) The “full battery” version of the TABE is used. Testing takes approximately 4 hours. LSH will create a custom 12-week learning plan for the learner based on their TABE results.
Each learning cycle begins with a kickoff meeting during which tutors and learners review the learning plan and set up a schedule. During the kick-off meeting, learners may also set other goals for the learning cycle related to their career development or technology skills.
During the learning cycle, learners will:
- Receive 3-5 hours of individual or small-group tutoring per week
- Complete homework assignments after each session
- Do 2 hours of individual work online per week
- Work towards other goals set during the kick-off meeting
- Participate in monthly check-ins with LSH staff
At the end of each learning cycle, learners will be assessed to ensure that they have mastered the material on the learning plan. Based on the results of the assessment, LSH will create a new custom 12-week learning plan. The learner may be assigned a new tutor or be moved to a new small group.
HOW TO ENROLL
To enroll, learners must attend one of our intake sessions at the LSH headquarters at 1340 Frankford Avenue. Information sessions for the first half of FY 2017:
- Wednesday, January 17, 5:30 pm
- Wednesday, February 21, 10:00 am
- Wednesday, March 21, 5:30 pm
- Wednesday, April 18, 10:00 am
- Wednesday, May 16, 5:30 pm
- Wednesday, June 20, 10:00 am
No pre-registration is required but learners can call 215.426.8610 x 1242 to request a reminder for the next upcoming session.
- Online Learning Resources
- Career Resources
- Digital Literacy Resources
- LSH Library Catalog
- GED Resources
- HiSET Reources
- LSH Computer Lab