The HiSET and GED are both tests that can be taken in Pennsylvania in order to qualify for a High School Equivalency Diploma. They cover the same content but there are a few differences in how they are administered.
- The GED can only be taken on a computer, the HiSET can be taken on a computer or with pencil and paper.
- The HiSET consists of 5 separate tests, the GED consists of 4.
- The cost of taking the full set of GED tests is $120; the cost for the full set of HiSET tests is $90.
- The HiSET consists of multiple choice questions and one essay question only; the GED involves multiple choice, essay, short answer, fill-in-the-blank, and technology-enhanced questions.
- You can only retake each HiSET subtest 3 times in one calendar year; you can retake the GED as many times as you like, though after the third time you take a subtest, you have to wait 60 days before you can take it a fourth time.